My camera is broken. I bought new batteries but the flash doesn’t seem to be working at all now. And the weather has been too gloomy to take photos without a flash. I’m hoping that it will be sunny tomorrow so I can take some pics but the snow that’s been forecast may stop that! So please bear with me.
I finished the lace border on Demeter on Saturday, I stayed up late (so it was Sunday really when I finished) watching As You Like It on BBC2. It was a good adaptation but what do you expect if it’s directed by Kenneth Branagh, I was slightly confused at it being set in Japan though. On Sunday I sewed all the ends in, grafted the straps together at the shoulders and it’s all ready to block now. It fits me really well, so as long as the lace border stays flat after blocking I will be really pleased with it.
On Sunday I also had another play with my soldering iron and made a birthday card for a work colleague. It was pieces of orange/yellow organza between a white layer and yellow layer of the same fabric on a black felt backing. I’d have preferred a white felt as the black dulled the colours but I haven’t found any synthetic felt where I live yet.
Tuesday was college and we did more colour work – tints and shades this week. Adding white to the main twelve colours in my colour wheel to see the tints and then adding black to see the shades. Adding black produces some pretty icky looking colours which was a surprise to me. But all this colour work and paint mixing is helping me make a lot more sense of the Crafters Guide to Color by Deb Menz that I bought last summer. Reading it without actually doing anything with colour theory at the same time is quite confusing.
I bought some mohair yarn by Wagtail Yarns at the Knitting & Stitching Show in 2006 to knit the To Dye For jumper from the first Stitch n Bitch book. This was to be my first foray into knitting a garment and to be quite blunt it was a disaster. I decided I would knit the body in the round (yes my first jumper and I converted the pattern – I AM mad) on circular needles. Then I adjusted the sleeves with difficulty as I had no experience of knitting sleeves let alone changing a sleeve pattern. But I have short arms and knew that the ones in the pattern would swamp me. When I finished the three pieces I sewed the shoulders together and then hit a brick wall. It was knit in mohair on size 7mm needles so the weave was very holey and I had absolutely no idea how you sewed together a holey fabric. I had never sewn together an unholey knit fabric so a holey one had no hope! I was a complete novice at knitting garments. I took it to my mum’s for help where it hung on a coat hanger for months as she was loathe to sew it together too. Finally at in the autumn of 2007 I realised that the sleeves were too narrow and the head of them did not in anyway resemble the shape of the armhole in the body of the garment and I frogged it! The whole thing, in mohair. I frogged it – luckily I didn’t realise that frogging mohair was difficult beforehand. I managed to save most of the yarn and wound it back into balls.
For Christmas 2007 I was given Sensual Knits by Yahaira Ferreira and inside it is a mohair jumper by Treschicveronique. I cast on, it was an i-cord cast on and took me forEVER to cast on the 200ish stitches. I knit about 15 rows and then gave up. It was in a bag for most of 2008. Finally around November time I admitted I wasn’t going to get anywhere with it and I frogged it again. I lost the i-cord cast on in the process.
Then in January 2009 I bought a new magazine UK called The Knitter and there at the back was the Lacy Tea Top by Erika Knight. It was knit in Rowan Kid Silk Haze in a lovely pale green and I instantly thought I could use my mohair yarn for that. I did a gauge swatch in the lace pattern on the size needles recommended and it matched! It’s fate I decided and so I have cast on. I’ve only knit 2 lace repeats so far (24 rows) and I am knitting it in the round but it seems to be working so far. I did practice the lace pattern on some other DK yarn both flat and in the round before I started so I was completely comfortable with it’s construction. So fingers crossed it’ll work out this time and I’ll finally use my purple mohair.