Blue Poppy hat finished in a weekend. I could have finished it on Saturday afternoon but although it is labelled as DK yarn the Sirdar Escape knitted up quite a bit bigger than the purple hat I made last year with some Debbie Bliss DK yarn. When I tried it on after doing the cast of it was massive, it covered my eyes! So you will notice that there are only 5 sections on this version and the purple one had 6. That was the easiest way of making it smaller, I ripped back the rib picked up the provisional cast on stitches, ripped back one segment and then redid the 1×1 rib. And then cast off again using Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off which is perfect for a hat as it doesn’t grip your head too tight. Et voila! A bluey/turquoise hat to go with my blue Aeolian shawl. I still need to find a brooch, badge, button or something to put on the fastening but apart from that c’est fini. I’ve been wearing it to work this week and have had so many comments about how nice it is. Don’tcha just love it when that happens? And don’tcha love saying “thank you, I made it!”
One of my friends loved it so much she asked me to knit another for her so her is another slightly different shade of Sirdar Escape DK which will become a hat for Laura this weekend. Her head is bigger than mine so I’m going to knit the 6 segments and it should fit her perfectly.
This week I’ve made two birthday cards, one for my mum and one for my boss. I painted a picture so I hope that they both like it. It was peculiar though, I often make presents for people but when I thought about the possibility of either of them throwing away the card I’ve made I was much more bothered about it than if I made a bead necklace for someone and knew they never wore it. I think it’s because I put more of myself into a picture/painting and because I didn’t buy the constituent parts i.e. beads for it. I will post a picture of the card but not until after mum’s birthday so she doesn’t see it early.
And today I made this:
I bought a necklace from Accessorise in the sale last month for £4.80 which had 5 vintage-looking brooch pendants on it. My intention was to break it up into bits and make 5 separate necklaces. This is the first. The pendant in the centre was from the necklace as was the chain and catch, I added some brown facetted beads and bead cups and here we have a brown vintage set.
I’ve bought some more chain, beads, findings and bits and bobs to go with the other pieces but haven’t quite figured out what they are going to be yet. This was the easy one!!