Sorry for being so quiet for pretty much the entire month, work has been extremely busy and stressful, also there have been builders at home replacing doors and replastering walls for two weeks. I think they are the messiest and most disorganised workmen on the planet, and it’s just typical that I got stuck with them. We now have a dip in the carpet in the hall (broken floorboard) that was fine before they started. I think the landlord will have to replace all the communal carpets as they have done a horrendous job of protecting them from the dust, rubble and wet plaster. I did manage to protect my knitting/yarn stash but there is dust on all my books even though I did put dust sheets over everything. Each footstep sends up a little puff of dust as you walk around. They were working all of last weekend, luckily it was sunny on Sunday as I had to go out!! I grabbed my knitting and did some enforced KIP.
Right, enough complaining – there has been some good stuff too. I have ordered some Panda Silk Solid 4ply yarn to knit the shrug I was imagining in my last post. I know I was going to use my raspberry mohair but I need a shrug for a wedding at the end of September so I’m going to knit in the black bamboo/silk and if it works I will probably repeat it with the raspberry mohair. I’m sticking to the feather and fan idea and will knit a few plain stitches between each pattern panel so I can do the shaping easily, I did attempt to work decreases/increases into the F&F pattern but it went horribly wrong, it’s just too complicated and I’m working to a deadline. Hopefully the yarn will arrive on Tuesday and I can get started!!
I have cast on the OpArt baby blanket from Knitty.com in white/lilac Patons Smoothie DK which is acrylic, but it doesn’t feel tacky at all. I was being practical – a baby blanket is going to need a lot of washing and if it’s got silly complicated care instructions it will only be kept for ‘best’ which translates as never used in my book. So it’s acrylic. It’s going quite well so far, it is a little dull as it’s mostly just knitting with 4 increases per row but to be honest with work being so complicated I needed a very basic project to do. I didn’t have any brain power left at the end of the day for anything more intricate.